Last week’s snowfall is now a memory. It was one for the record books; the last time this school district had a snow day was 40 years ago, when they closed the schools for one day. Last week’s snow resulted in two snow days for our school district! We also broke a long standing record for the most snowfall in a 24-hour period, one that had been standing since some time in the 1890’s, apparently.
The following three pictures were taken within a 24-hour period. And, for those of you who live in areas where you get a LOT more snow than we get? I know this doesn’t look like a lot; it really isn’t. We don’t really get a lot of snow here. Up in the mountains, yes, we do; but down here at lake level, we do get some but not like you get in the prairies or out east. You have my sympathy.
I do have other things to talk about, including knitting. Where do I start? Well, after buying my Samsung tablet last weekend, I knew I needed to buy a cover for it. I looked at the covers in Future Shop, London Drugs, and various other locations but was appalled when I found out the prices. I cannot see paying about $45 for a cover so I went online. I found one at Amazon for less than half the cost of what I saw in the shops. Even with the shipping and taxes, it was less than the pre-tax price of the covers I could find locally. And it’s red. I love red.
I’m also waiting for a set of screen covers to arrive, probably next week. Incidentally, since I got the tablet, I’ve read two murder mysteries and am well into the third. I haven’t read this much in….. well, I don’t know how long. It’s no wonder I’m not getting much knitting done! One of my sisters turned me on to BookBub and I’ve been downloading some of the free books available there. As well, I’ve finally figured out how to download books from the library to the tablet. Right now, I’m reading “The Camel Club” by David Baldacci.
There has been some knitting, too. I finished a pair of fish lips kiss socks for myself. They look rather Christmas-y; that wasn’t necessarily the intention. I found a partial ball of red DK weight yarn, enough to make one sock, or the foot portion of two socks. Then, I came across a ball of white DK weight acrylic and decided to use the white for the heels. I could have used white for the cuffs, too, but it’s acrylic… not the nicest acrylic I’ve ever worked with. It even squeaked on the needles! I went back to my stash and found two balls of green DK, the same brand as the red. Both the red and the green have wool, possibly even 100% wool.
The socks are a touch big on me but I’m hoping that a wash will solve that. I know that the heel won’t shrink but I do hope it will at least tighten up the socks a bit. They are, however, nice and warm and cozy. They’re meant to be worn around the house, in my slippers…. which need replacing soon.
One of the main reasons I wanted to knit these (other than the practical reason of keeping my feet warm) was to test the Fish Lips Kiss pattern on adult sized socks. I’m very pleased with the result, even though they’re a bit large for me. Realistically, I should have used a smaller needle (I used 3.25 mm, I think); that would have made the knit a little tighter; and for next time, I know to make the foot portion a little shorter before starting the heel.
Now, on with the day. There are letters to write, postcards to send out, dishes to be done, knitting to get to, a book to finish…. you get the idea.