As I mentioned yesterday, giving soap as a gift is nice but, really, there should be something to go along with the soap. Wouldn’t you agree?
To that end, I found a ball of fingering weight cotton that I’d purchased at the thrift store a few years ago and decided to cast on for a face cloth. Now, this isn’t going to be your regular Cream ‘n Sugar cotton dish/face cloth. Oh no, this is, after all, fingering weight. And I’m working this face cloth on 2.25 mm circular needles. This is a work of love!
The stitch pattern is one I came up with years ago. As a matter of fact, I posted about it on my earlier blog, in 2007. You can see that post here.
How long will it take to knit this one face cloth? I have no idea but over the course of Saturday afternoon, I managed to knit approximately two inches (I figure it will need 8″ for sure), and that was with numerous breaks because of wrist pain. Let’s just put it this way – the person lucky enough to receive this face cloth had better appreciate it! 😉
If you’re interested, you can download the pattern by clicking the link: Waffle Face Cloth. I’ll also post a link to it on my new page…. Patterns. You’ll see it at the top right hand corner of this page.
Yesterday, I decided to do a little bit of experimenting seeing as I still had half a tub of tallow. I found a small batch recipe for experimenting with. There were three options on the page – 100% tallow soap, 100% lard soap, or 50/50 tallow and lard. I chose the latter option. Then, I started playing.
Instead of a water/lye mix, I chose to use some of the goat’s milk that I still have in the freezer. I also decided to colour one half of the soap with some FD & C yellow that I still have on hand from lotion making years ago and scented the yellow with lemon essential oil. To help with exfoliation, I also threw in a teaspoon or so of poppy seeds.
In the other half, I added about half a tablespoon of bentonite clay, which is supposed to help with creating later and helps to detoxify the skin (if you believe in all that).
This was how it looked after pouring it all into the mold (it only filled half the mold, which is just what I wanted). Looks almost good enough to eat, doesn’t it? (Except for the fact that I can’t stand custard.)
I unmolded it this morning and cut it into slices a little later. The colour is darker than I had anticipated and will, I know, lighten up a bit but it still isn’t a pretty shade of yellow. The scent, however, is very nice, fresh and lemony.
It will, I think, be a good wake up soap. Even though I’m tempted to try more soaps right now, it’s time to stop… at least for this week. I’ve been doing a lot of reading, a lot of researching and for someone who failed chemistry in high school, I’m finding it all very fascinating and there’s so much more I want to try.
Incidentally, I do intend to repost a bunch of my patterns in time. I’ve removed all of them from Ravelry because I simply don’t have the time or energy to make sure they’re 100% correct and/or answer all of the questions I get about them. However, I know that most of the patterns were fine but need reformatting… just to make them prettier. Eventually.